A Meeting of the Literary Club “HE WAS FOR ALL TIME!” Devoted to William Shakespeare
Панасенко Т. М., гімназія, смт Ладан, Чернігівська обл.
Teacher:The history of mankind knows a lot of brilliant people. Shakespeare was a marvelous poet, but not the onlyone; he was a great dramatist, but not the only one;he was a learned man, but many of his contemporaries surpassed him in knowledge.
What, then, makes him the greatest of the great?First, a harmonious combination of all these qualities;secondly, his intellect, capable of penetrating into the very core of things. A great poet, an unsurpassed dramatist, an unrivalled psychologist, he was also a philosopher.
William Shakespeare is sometimes called a Great Unknown because many details of his life remain obscure to us.
Today you have an opportunity to see how much you know about this Great Man.
1. Shakespeare was born in Stratford-upon – Avon, but what county is this town in?
2. When did Shakespeare write his plays?
a) 15th and 16th century
b) 14th and 15th century
c) 16th and 17th century
d) 17th and 18th century
3. When is Shakespeare’s birthday traditionally celebrated?
a) Аpril 1
b) Аpril 12
c) Аpril 21
d) Аpril 23
4. Who ruled the country when Shakespearewas born?
a) Charles I
b) James II
c) Henry VIII
d) Elizabeth I
5. How old was Shakespeare when he got married?
6. Who did Shakespeare marry?
a) Anne of Cleves
b) Anne Hathaway
c) Anne Feine
d) Anne Ditover
7. How many children did Shakespeare have?
8. What was the name of Shakespeare’s theatre?
a) The West End
b) The Globe
c) The Rose
d) The Universe
9. How many sonnets, poems and plays did Shakespeare write?
a) 38 plays, 154 sonnets and 2epic narrative poems
b) 54 plays, 38 sonnets and 5 epic narrative poems
c) 54 plays, 5 sonnets and38 epic narrative plays
d) 1 play,38 sonnets and154 epic narrative poems
10. What happened to the Globe Theatre in 1613?
a) It fell down.
b) It leaked.
c) It was opened.
d) It burnt down.
11. How many words did Shakespeare actually “invent”?
a) About 3,000
c) About 1,000
d) About 13,000
12. Where did Shakespeare retire to?
d) The USA
13. Which of these phrases appears on Shakespeare’s gravestone?
a) “May the great author rest in peace.”
b) “He wrote so much that man will take years to understand everything.”
c) “He arrived on this earth with nothing. When he died, he left everything to us.”
d) “… curst be he that moves my bones.”
14.How old was Shakespeare when he died?
15. As well as being a playwright, Shakespeare was also… .
a) a glove-maker
b) a butcher
c) a diplomat
d) an actor
16. Complete the title of this Shakespeare’s play: “The Merchant of … .”
a) Milton Keynes
17. Which of these is a play by Shakespeare?
a) The Siege of Troy
b) Robin Hood
c) Two Gentlemen of Wolverhampton
d) The Comedy of Errors
18. Shakespeare’s plays were usually performed in….
a) a church
b) a royal palace
c) an open air theatre
d) an indoor theatre
19. How many lines are there in a sonnet?
20. How many periods are there in Shakespeare’s creation?
Keys: 1-d; 2-c; 3-d; 4-d; 5-c; 6-b; 7-c; 8-b; 9-a; 10-d; 11-a; 12-c; 13-d; 14-b; 15-d; 16-d; 17-d; 18-c; 19-c; 20-b.