Places to see in the USA
Ровенська Т. В., ліцей № 17, м. Хмельницький
There is no city quite like New York. It is known as “The city that never sleeps” and is the biggest commercial and cultural center in the world. Over eight million people live in New York. Manhattan – the heart of the city – is only one of the five boroughs in this great metropolis.
There are thousands of things to do and places to visit for tourists. The most famous landmark must be The Statue of Liberty. It is a symbol of freedom. The Empire State Building, built in 1931 has a viewing floor at the top. On a clear day you can take spectacular photographs of the city from here, but it is especially magical at night.
Sports fans can watch the world famous Mets and Yankees play baseball, the Knickerbockers play basketball and the Rangers play hockey.
You can relax in Central Park, which is larger than Monaco! New York really does have something for everyone.
Complete the sentences with these words:
relax take sleeps to do watch
1. There is no city quite like New York. It is known as “The city that never …”.
2. There are thousands of things … and places to visit for tourists.
3. On a clear day you can …spectacular photographs of the city from here, but it is especially magical at night.
4. Sports fans can … the world famous Mets and Yankees play baseball.
5. You can … in Central Park, which is larger than Monaco! New York really does have something for everyone.
Keys: 1 sleeps; 2 to do; 3 take; 4 watch; 5 relax.
Everyone knows that California is the place to find sunny beaches and film stars. But what else it is famous for?
The California people we see on television are usually tall, blond and slim. But California is an international place and many different kinds of people live here. Lots of people are from Japanese, Chinese and European families. California is next to the Mexican border and 25% of the people who live in California are Hispanic.
California’s coastline is 1052 km long and the weather is often hot, so the beach is a big part of life for California. Surfing, sailing and swimming are very popular here. The most famous beach in California is Venice Beach. It’s a lively place and you can see jugglers, musicians, acrobats and body builders.
The rich and famous people in California like to shop in Rodeo Drive, Beverly Hills. The streets are full of expensive shops with designer clothes. Many tourists visit Rodeo Drive, but they do not want to buy clothes- they want to see Julia Roberts or Brad Pitt doing their shopping!
Write “True” or “False”:
1. You can see famous people in California.
2. California is an international place.
3. It is not usually hot there.
4. There are no beaches in California.
5. The shops are expensive.
6. There are many shops with designer clothes.
Keys: 1T; 2T; 3F; 4F; 5T; 6T.